ES6tLMQ0PXfdqC9-18bZz9xUQ9E The Life Of A Coast Guard Wife: MIA

Friday, May 21, 2010


I know I have been MIA the last few days. Yesterday at around 2ish, I went out to my backyard and noticed that one of our dogs, Sassy, was stumbling around like she was drunk. She could hardly walk, and was very shaky. I got scared and called my mom. She worked in a vet as a dog groomer for over 20 years. She knows A LOT about dogs, so I call her for advice. I was FREAKING out!

At first we thought that maybe she got stung by something. She LOVES hunting bugs. So I gave her some children's allergy medicine and put her in her kennel. Our other dog, Dodger, was just fine.

Alittle while later I went outside. My mom and I were still discussing what was wrong with her. Then, I remembered that when we moved in, the home owner had left a bag of Ortho Max Insect Killer by the back porch. I immedietly went to was open! I looked on the ground and there was a little trail of it. I KNEW she had gotten in to in and ate it. My mom told me to take her to the vet and that she would pay for it.

I got the boys and I ready as quickly and I could and rushed her to the vet. They wieghed her, took her temp, and did blood work. Everything was normal, thank God! They took her to the back, gave her activated charcol to absorb the poison and then started her on fluids. I left and they said they would call me in the morning.

I got home and Dodger was missing Sassy. He was whinning. I felt bad for him! Later that evening at about 9:30, I went out back. Dodger was now stumbling around! I broke down and started crying! Not again! I called my mom. She looked it up and saw that CVS, Walgreens, and Rite-Aide sold activated charcol. I loaded the boys up and took the 20 min drive to Walgreens. THEY WERE CLOSED! Ughh!

I drove back home. My mom asked if I wanted to take him to the ER Vet. I would have, but by that time it was already past 11 and the boys were asleep. It would have been another 30 mins or so until I was at the ER. So, I put Dodger in his kennel and prayed that he would be alive in the morning.

I woke up at 6:30 this morning, dreading on checking on Dodger. I got up, peeked my head around the corner, and Dodger lifted his head to look at me. Oh what a relief! Then, he tried to stand up. He was very shaky and still couldn't really walk. I called my mom and the vet. Both said to take him in.

Once again, we loaded up and drove to the vet. They told me that they were going to start Dodger on fluids to flush him out and that I could pick him up at 4:30. They brought me Sassy, who is doing just fine! She is back to her normal self! They left the cathader in and they are going to do the same for Dodger, just in case they go back downhill.

So, I pick Dodger up at 4:30 and take them both back in tomorrow morning for a follow-up. I'm sure both will be fine and pull through. This has been a very rough couple of days. It's even harder because I'm having to do it all by myself! My family is in Texas, and the hubby is hundreds of miles away out to sea.

Everything is under control now and I will try to post a new review soon. Please bare with me!

Here is a picture of Sassy back to her normal self!

Don't forget to thank a member of our MILITARY!


Tylerpants said...

Good thing Sassy & Dodger are ok! I hope you got rid of the bag so the dogs & kids wont be tempted to eat it.

Hang in there!

Amber said...

Hey, following you from Friendly Friday. I'm glad your dogs are getting better! That would be terrifying. Not one, but both of them sheesh! I know I'd be freaking right out if it was my pup.

Samy said...

Oh no D: I'm glad they are doing better now!

NGS said...

Awww. I'm so sorry all of that happened to you. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Tree said...

Oh my goodness! What a scare! I'm so glad they are both going to be fine. He looks so cute in that last photo. LOL

Robyn said...

Please know that I am praying for you, the boys and the dogs. I can't imagine going through all of that in one day in a new city without hubby around to help. Give yourself a hug from me because you deserve one!!

Linda Kish said...

I'm so glad your dogs will be fine. It's amazing what they can get into.

Spaz said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that and be so far away from your family. I can empathize, that happened to me when I lived down South!! I am glad the doggies are okay.

Just recently one of my cats ate a baggie of those little silica gel packs (that come in new shoeboxes) and part of a bumblebee two days before our wedding....Needless to say, I was on the phone with the emergency vet the night before the wedding. UGH! Luckily, we didn't have to bring her in (she had finished throwing up by then, for two days) because she wasn't dehydrated. Those little critters! They are such beasts, but you gotta love 'em!

Blog Makeovers by Tara